Shmoocon was lots of fun! I learned a lot, caught up with old friends, made new friends, spent some quality girlfriend time with Nicky, gained fame and fortune by way of French scifi, and more.
Rather than do a detailed writeup I shall haphazardly list some personal highlights.
- Seeing so many of my old friends finally and/or again. The trouble with an international hacker community is however tight-knit you get, you still tend to live miles apart from one another. Cons like this are a great chance to add some rare RL shenanigans to the mix. I met a bunch of my pals in-person for the first time, and caught up with others I've met before but still don't see nearly enough.
- Spending quality girlfriend time with my beloved Nicky.
- The pre-con dinner for the Hackerspaces community, hosted by the extraordinary humans at HacDC. It's in a church!
- The party the next night, also at HacDC. Did I mention it's in a church? You haven't lived until you've danced the night away with your significant other and friends in front of rows of pews, while a DJ does his thing in a pulpit and laser graffiti shines around a hanging crucifix. If everything else in Christian church were like this, I'd consider converting.
- Meeting Nicky's friends from Chicago 2600, and attending their presentation about repeatedly owning each other.
- Seeing professional government freeloader Matthew Lesko hanging out in a hotel bar. Yes, he was wearing That Suit.
- Exploring the depths of the hotel with Phone Losers of America alumni
- Searching for a rumored hotel room party with Nicky, Cableflame, Bernie S, Tiffany Rad, and others; in the process having our own elevator party and stumbling onto various hidden goodies around the Hotel.
- Eating lunch at an outdoor cafe in warm, sunny weather in February. WTF?
- EPIC SUSHI.
- PLA stickers and post-its everywhere.
- Winning the "crowd favorite" category in the Barcode Shmarcode contest. My entry was a Multi Pass inspired by The Fifth Element which I made from scratch.
- Attending a Cuong Nhu-inspired self defense workshop with Nicky, during which we were encouraged to practice on one another. OMG DOMESTIC VIOLENCE! All I want is my name...
- Taking back most of the snarky things I've said to Grey about ShmooCon over the years, while still maintaining that their ticketing scheme is unnecessarily exclusive and batshit insane.
- Witnessing the various brilliant fake ShmooCon badges, from Openfly and NYC Resistor's laser-cut replicas of varying accuracy to Altalp's ingenius low-budget ID-sleeve-and-sharpie creation (which worked all con!)
- Offering the Doctor a jelly baby.
- Playing a round in a Halo tournament against Nicky, and having her move onto the next level with 0 kills because I managed to kill myself twice.
- Cableflame taking me on a detour to the National Portrait Gallery on the way to my bus home, and showing me a whole lot of really neat art.
- Getting a head start on looking forward to next year. See you then!
I didn't use my camera much at the con, because Nicky's camera is smaller and better and contains a much more well-behaved imp. So, enjoy these photos and con reports from her and others..